Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Chimichanga

As I said in my welcome, one day my roomie and I randomly decided to try and cook something together.  I have no idea why, but we decided to attempt to make chimichangas.  I had only had chimichangas at restaurants, never homemade, never even saw a recipe for them, so don't know how we decided on that, but we did and I'm so glad.

I don't want to plagiarise in this blog so if it's a recipe I got online I plan to link to that recipe, if it's from a book I plan to link to where to get the book on Amazon.  I did some reading on copyright stuff for recipes so will be very careful, but for the chimichangas it was about 3 or 4 years ago and we randomly googled "how to make chimichangas," read through it quickly, closed it, went to the store and made it based on what we remembered we read with our own variations.  It was so long ago I have no idea the original place we read it, or even remember what we did exactly so I won't be linking to anything for this one.

Ingredients:
Tortillas
Chicken breast
Fajita seasoning
Green peppers
Onions
Shredded Mexican Cheese Mix
Canned Refried beans
Store bought salsa con queso
Homemade quacamole (googled a recipe- included avocado, tomato, chiles, cilantro & maybe some lime juice)
Flour
Water

We baked the chicken then shredded it, cooked the onions & peppers, and warmed up the refried beans. 
Took a tortilla filled it with chicken, put fajita seasoning on the chicken, added refried beans, onions, peppers, & shredded cheese.
Wrapped the tortilla.  We mixed flour with water to make a paste & used that to keep the tortilla together.
We warmed up the salsa con queso and topped the chimichanga with that, sour cream, and the homemade quacamole.
It's very easy to adjust this recipe to fit your tastes.



We paired this with a lime beer which really hit the spot!

Pretty simple & delicious.  I still remember us taking our first bites.  Neither of us had any confidence in our cooking abilities so that first bite was like the moment of truth.  We were so impressed!  This one meal is what completely changed my mind about cooking and led to my many edible endeavors since.

No comments:

Post a Comment